<VV> Stud Advice

Roger Gault r.gault@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 9 May 2004 19:28:02 -0500

I'm working on a '65 block.  A number of the upper studs were in pretty bad
shape, so I decided to try to replace them.  I found that they were all pretty
loose, coming out with less than 10 ft-lbs.  So, I decided to replace them all
with .003 over studs.  Well, of course, it turned out that only 11 of the 12
were loose.  One of the uppers (front stud on #4) that goes into a bearing web
turned about one turn and then began to bind up.  When it got to 50 ft-lbs
about 1/2 turn later, I decided to just screw it back in and leave it.  It
went back in pretty hard.  It feels like it had picked up a piece of aluminum
in the threads.

I'm guessing it will be OK.  What do you smart guys think?  It's going in my
3.6L project.

Thanks,
  Roger