<VV> sleeve valves &Corvair

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 00:42:45 EDT

In a message dated 5/9/04 5:22:01 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
MarPack57@aol.com writes:

> Was reading the June 2004 edition of Special Interest Autos. The article on
>
> the 1930 Willys-Knight using a sleeve valve motor mentions that at one time
> it
> was considered for the Corvair. Anyone have additional info on that?
>  Ed in Fla

Ed,
Not only have I never heard of this before, it just would not be practical
for several reasons. The main one being that the slide valve mechanism is heavy
and slow. Engines with this mechanism are limited to about 2800 max rpm
because of the valve inertia. This certainly would not fit into the 1960s
technology. In addition there would probably have been cylinder cooling problems using
air cooling on this type of engine.

And I just can't imagine Chev putting a 1930 engine into a 1960s car. Maybe
there was a Corvair being designed back in 1930!  But April is past. Maybe next
year!
Regards,
Bob Helt