<VV> throwout bearing follow up

Mike Kost vairmike@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 10 May 2004 08:19:53 -0500

VairMech@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 5/8/2004 4:14:57 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>Sethracer@aol.com writes:
>Just coast up to the light/stop sign and turn off the motor. Put
>the trans into first and wait for the green light!
>Repeat as needed to get home! Again, trying this out with no traffic and
>plenty of room for mistakes is the best idea.
>

>    I would like to add that if you pay attention to the traffic and the
>lights you can time yourself so you don't have to stop the car even in traffic or
>make mad dashes for a parking lot.
>    Ken Hand

if you are real lucky and your car idles slow enough with enough low end
torque you don't even need to start it in gear at a stop. One time
(about 24 years ago) I had a cable break while leaving work. I managed
to drive the 8 miles home with only 1 stop (up hill on a 4 lane street
in St. Louis rush hour). I left the car running while waiting for the
light. When the light turned green I opened the door and started pushing
the car until I got it just moving enough to shove it into gear. I got
on the highway as soon as possible to avoid any more lights.

--
Mike Kost
Show-Me Corvair Club