<VV> Re: Slow Starter

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 01:24:02 -0400

> Message: 6
> From: "Diane Galli" <rdgalli@tcsn.net>
> To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
> Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:22:19 -0700
> Subject: <VV> Re: Slow Starter
>> ******************
>     Hey, Smitty, take it for what it is worth. It cures my hot
> cranking problems in every case, from our old '71 Pontiac, to our '70
GMC
> pickup, toall the corvairs. Done deal.   What do you mean, "all ULTRA
parts"?
>    Bob
> #504 ULTRAvan
----------------------------------
Smitty says:  All I was doing was defending the engineering that went
into the Corvair starter.  I have found that when things are "Right" the
starter will work every time (as built).  I consider an exception to "As
Built" to be like the case of the start switch wireing in an Ultra van.
Too many feet of wireing to provide best amperage to the solenoid.  No
harm no foul to put a relay in there.  Might even make the start switch
last into the 6th decade.  The term "ULTRA" parts (all caps) refers to
the parts that have been pulled from operating cars and thrown in the
pile until needed for the present driver.  We have all used these kind of
parts for years but the Deckrug Enterprises boys and the ones from WTBRT
have started usung the term ULTRA in a desperate effort at recognition
and claiming those parts are their own invention.