<VV> Her car is out of the garage

Frank DuVal corvairduval@cox.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 14:15:18 -0400

Anybody have tips for sanding out runs.   I was going to make small
sanding blocks (about 1 inch wide).

Chris:

I use a single edge razor blade. It takes some practice to hold it exactly parallel to the surface, and concave surfaces can be problematic. You might sand the two corners of the razor blade so they are not sharp. Anyway, to cut the run off, think of shaving with the blade perpendicular to the surface of the car. Do not slope the blade like the disposable razors you buy for your face. DO not cut the run off with the blade, just scrape it. Be careful not to let the corners cut into the paint. This technique works best on clearcoats when the clear is thick so danger of cutting through to base coat, but I have used it also on single stage colors. Practice in some low not easily seen area first. After shaving, you could use 1500 grit (2000 is also available) folded three times ( old painters method) or wrap the sandpaper on a piece of paint stirring padle (that is flat) for a small sanding block. You could also do the progressive sanding technique of 1000 grit, then 1500 grit, then 2000 grit and polish.  All this is wet sanding with water, no dry sanding at these grit sizes.

And don't forget, if you see the runs happening while painting, use the masking tape trick to remove them while wet. You may need to see this, it is hard to describe.

Frank DuVal
64 Spyder Conv needs .........

Frank DuVal