<VV> Re: New clutch giving me fits!

goofyroo@excite.com goofyroo@excite.com
Tue, 11 May 2004 22:15:29 -0400 (EDT)

 I am with the other posters suggesting the clutch disc is in backward.

However, it's worth an eyeball to make sure the bracket where the clutch cable pivots with the rod isn't flexing on a weak floorpan.

Also make sure the pivot itself is positioned correctly per the Shop Manual.  Geometry counts.

If you do pull the clutch, examine the little A-shaped retainers that hold the pressure plate in position within the cover.  I'm having trouble describing them better than that.  I think there are three retainers.  Anyway, one of mine failed on a relatively new (rebuilt) pressure plate, and the flexing it allowed caused the same symptoms you describe.

Michael SmithDallas

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com