<VV> RE: Engine miss with rapid tach movement

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 11 May 2004 21:21:34 -0700

Well, now I'm really stumped!  I did find that when I put the distributer
drive gear on that I failed to line up the mark on the gear with the rotor
mark, It was 180* out.  Funny thing is, it ran the same when I lined it up.
Here's what I swapped out and the problem still exists:
Points, points wire, condenser, cap, rotor, coil.  I tried jumping the coil
(+) directly to the battery momentarily to rule out the wiring harness, made
no difference.  The miss is intermittant and it occurs at random.  Sometimes
it is barely noticable and all but goes away.  It is accompanied by the tach
needle moving, sometimes as much as 400-600 rpm but the engine itself isn't
changing speed that rapidly.  It doesn't seem like this would be on the
output side of the coil but since I already tried the cap and rotor, I may
try plugs and plug wires.  If that doesn't fix it, then maybe the
distributer itself is not as good as I think it is.

Stumped

Dan Kling
1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
1963 Spyder, 4spd, 3.55 Saginaw (engine in the works)