<VV> RE: Engine miss with rapid tach movement

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Wed, 12 May 2004 01:09:48 -0400

I think a tach needle that is erratic is typical of a bad ground in the
points plate. The cure is usually a Vega points plate that has a better
ground.

This could cause an intermittent miss.

Is this what's causing this problem?

Bruce

On May 12, 2004, at 12:21 AM, Dan & Synde wrote:

> Well, now I'm really stumped!  I did find that when I put the
> distributer
> drive gear on that I failed to line up the mark on the gear with the
> rotor
> mark, It was 180* out.  Funny thing is, it ran the same when I lined
> it up.
> Here's what I swapped out and the problem still exists:
> Points, points wire, condenser, cap, rotor, coil.  I tried jumping the
> coil
> (+) directly to the battery momentarily to rule out the wiring
> harness, made
> no difference.  The miss is intermittant and it occurs at random.
> Sometimes
> it is barely noticable and all but goes away.  It is accompanied by
> the tach
> needle moving, sometimes as much as 400-600 rpm but the engine itself
> isn't
> changing speed that rapidly.  It doesn't seem like this would be on the
> output side of the coil but since I already tried the cap and rotor, I
> may
> try plugs and plug wires.  If that doesn't fix it, then maybe the
> distributer itself is not as good as I think it is.
>
> Stumped
>
> Dan Kling
> 1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89
> 1963 Spyder, 4spd, 3.55 Saginaw (engine in the works)

Bruce W, Schug
CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC
bwschug@charter.net