<VV> Bone of Contention (long)

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 12 May 2004 13:35:15 -0500

Smitty,

CCE has been doing similar for the last several years at one parade.  We
provide transpo for the dignitaries, at a PRICE.  I'm not sure what amount
we get, but I'm pretty sure that it is in excess of $250.  It may be as much
as $350.

Of course, they want converts for the dignitaries (and their families).  We
have even used Rampsides for the larger families.  Signs (which they
provide) are attached (with string or painters tape) to identify each
particular dignitary.

The "other" Corvairs - those not carrying the VIPs are immediately behind
the lead vehicles.  Typically the parade is set up with the fire trucks
first and the VIPs (in Corvairs) second, with the rest of the Corvairs
following them.  It works out great because we are at the head of the
parade, and depart quickly... before the rest of the parade gets to the
finish point.  We go off for beer and burgers immediately.  Some of our
vehicles (usually at least the first and last one) carry large CCE logo
signs in order to identify the club.

The contact person for this was Lee Carrier, but he has moved out of state
now.  I believe that Burt Neuner will probably take over, since he lives in
that same area, and if you know Burt... he is not exactly bashful.

My take on your situation is that you ought to put pressure on the parade
committee and charge them (call it a contribution to the club if you will)
some amount of money - with the stipulation that non-occupied Corvairs will
follow the occupied ones so as not to break up the group.  If they balk, I'm
assuming that the club could still register (and probably at no charge) to
participate in the parade... somewhere further back in the line.  Yes, we
have had instances where our club spokesman and the parade chairman did not
see eye to eye on some issues.  They were ironed out because we were not
afraid to leave and go participate in some other parade instead.  This is
4th of July and virtually every town in the area runs a parade.

BTW, we ALSO stipulate that no one rides on the top boot area.  We do bring
along cushions for the folks to sit on so that they will be more visible.

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140