<VV> any advise is welcome

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 10:35:02 -0400

Do not replace the carpet until you're done painting. Painting is a VERY
invasive process that will get EVERYTHING dirty. Depending on how prep work
is done, there can be further damage. Move the carpeting down to where
you've listed the upholstering - they're somewhat related in any case. Turn
signals, horn, and wipers should be adjacent to gas tank - once you've got
the gas tank, you'll be physically able to drive it.
     Have the body shop remove your old windshield and clean/finish/paint
underneath it, PARTICULARLY the dash (remove your dash pad). If you can get
them to put in the new one, good. Otherwise, do that after the paint job.
     Congratulations on your acquisition. Corvairs are very rewarding to
restore and drive, even WITHOUT VV.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Landis, Art MR
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 9:45 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> any advise is welcome

Ever since I was 16, I've always wanted a Corvair to restore.  I just
happened to luck into one this past Saturday when I towed a '63 Monza 900
home.  The car itself isn't a basket case but a lot of attention is needed.
The engine cranks but due to a damaged left front fender the gas tank is
unable to hold gas. Because of this, I've no real idea of what is needed to
get her running.  The seller told me that the engine has been recently
re-built and will run (there is good evidence to support his claim). There
is no exhaust pipes past the manifolds.  I need your advise in helping me
prioritize my efforts.  Since I am constrained by budget, ability and time,
I think the best way to get started is in the following order:

1.   Hang exhaust from the manifolds (if I get her running, I don't want to
damage the valves or anything by running naked manifolds)
2.   Rig a temporary fuel supply such as a gas can or fuel cell so I can
drive her to the body shop.
3.   Have the body shop repair the crumpled left front fender and straighten
the uni-body so the drivers door opens and closes.
4.   Drive her home and replace the damaged gas tank.
5.   Begin to sand, prime and what-not on the body.
6.   Replace the carpet.
7.   Replace the windshield.
8.   Back to the body shop for a new coat of paint.
9.   Repair and or replace hub caps and emblems (I need the emblem below the
chrome word Corvair on the engine deck lid).
10.  Upholstery.
11.  Turn signals, horn. and wipers.
12.  License, registration and daily driving!!

What do you think?  Please, I welcome any and all advise.  My goal here is
restoration and not anything radical or ultra modified.

Thanks for your help.

Art in Missouri