<VV> The 14th put to good use

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 10:37:44 EDT

Howdy all,
  Friday was a productive day.  A lot of little problems I had been putting
off were corrected on my 64 Coupe.  Firstly, I brought my A/C back to life with
the installation of a drive belt...something I had hurriedly cut off last
year during a roadside fanbelt exchange.  I must have got a belt a size larger or
so cuz it positioned one of the aluminium lines on the Sanden compressor up
against the modified spare tire carrier.  I was fortunate to catch this
immediately upon start up or I would have lost my charge of R12 within a few miles of
driving. Removal of the offending tire carrier solved that.
  Next was the replacement of a rubber hose used as an oil line to feed the
turbo.  This was a great way to simplify routing oil to the turbo but after a
few years use it was starting to become brittle and leak near the heat of the
turbo.  Some slight bending of an original chrome line, install the original
chrome fitting on the rear housing and I was able to move the oil pressure
switch off the turbo as well.  The heater now smells sweeter without the addition
of Mobil 1.
  With the recent talk on VV about ignition breakdown at high rpm's on a
turbo it was pretty easy to deduce the stumbling I was experiencing was a weak
coil.  It was also easy to see from the condition of this ULTRA part that it was
the weakest link in an otherwise totally upgraded ignition system.  Off I go
to Canadian Tire, pass right by the 17 year old kid at the automotive dept.
computer and pluck from the shelf a brand new cheapy Accel super stock coil.  I
felt so good about finally getting around to this purchase that I went all out
and paid the extra $5 for the coil with the nice chrome case.  Now the Monzta
happily spools way past 4500 rpm with nary a miss.
  All in all it was a good May 14th.  I did stop to think about it's
significance.  I am glad such a sad occasion can be offset by the fact that there were
enough Corvairs produced to satisfy us enthusiasts for a long time to come.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'64 900 Coupe