<VV> Mileage - was Don't buy

Shaun shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca
Sat, 15 May 2004 12:11:01 -0700

<Smit>

> Frank,
>
> I've seen that statement from Bob M before.  I cannot agree 100% with
that.
> Yes, probably an indicator, but not necessarily.
>
> I (stick shift) can use less brake by always downshifting.  This is
actually
> a little foolish because brakes are easier and cheaper than clutches, BUT
it
> CAN be done.  Also, it possibly uses MORE gas by revving the engine higher
> than it would be if the brakes only were used to stop.
<unSmit>

I think the point is not slowing down differently, but not slowing down "at
all" by making small throttle adjustments far in advance of lights or
slowing traffic in order to flow right along when the traffic picks up
again.
I learned how to do this very well when I was 17, in my '64 Buick Special
cvt. w/V6 because I seldom had gas money and found I could go a lot farther
this way. And gas was only about 33c/litre (about $1/gal U.S.) now it's
99.5c/litre (or roughly $4/gal). The conversion factor isn't constant
because of the Can/U.S. dollar ratio isn't), but I digress.
It's fun on two lane (in the same direction) roads because all the hotshoes
fly by you and sit at the light while you pass them back on the uptake.

yea, Vairily ... Shaun

---