MPG Re: <VV> Don't buy gas on May 19th, 2004

SPYDER62@aol.com SPYDER62@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 15:35:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2004 9:20:42 AM Pacific Daylight Time, FrankCB writes:
Rich,
    If you added vacuum advance to your ignition timing, you'd see a
significant improvement!  When I did that to my 180, it went from 18 to 22 mpg on the
same drive everyday back and forth to work.  (And that was with a heavy foot,
since I was frequently in danger of being late for work.(:-)  For details, see
the chapter on Turbocharging in the Corvair Basics manual.
    For ALL cars (turbo and NA) the secret to good gas mileage is MINIMIZING
the use of brakes.  Bob Marlow calls it "anticipatory driving".  Every time
you step on the brakes you're throwing away $$$ you spent on gas.
Hi Frank
 Yes, I installed a Dale vacuum advance dist. before I even drove the car for
the first time. Did it in Mark's (Southwest Corvair) driveway. Mileage was
right at 15 the whole 2000 + miles from Mark's shop in Phoenix to my place in
Oregon.(did some site seeing on way back) Been playing with timing and carb
adjustment since I've been home and this last tank looks like it will be around 18
or so looking at were the gage is. As for brakes, what are they for :) the
right petal is all I know how to use :). Do need to see what jets are in the
carb now that it is at sea level.
Rich
www.shepswoodncrafts.com
68 Datsun roadster