<VV> Time sert or heli coil

David V. Clamp 66corsa@cox.net
Sun, 16 May 2004 18:39:40 -0400

snip----------------------------
What do I need to do to get this done in a day? My 4 door is a daily driver
and I am not in walking distance to my job. What do I need to pull and what
should I use?
Unsnip--------------------------

Heli-coil makes an insert kit that works well with the heads still installed
on the car. The kit contains a tap, three inserts of various lengths, and an
expanding tool. I bought mine at NAPA (Part number 770-3223) and it's called
"HeliCoil Sav-A-Thread Sparkplug Repair Kit"

The inserts are solid and easy to install. You need to grease the tap very
well to catch the aluminum chips. I suggest only cutting 1/4 turn of new
threads, remove, clean tap, regrease, and repeat until the hole is tapped.
It is tedious, but it works.

Next, put some thread lock on the outer part of insert and use a plug to
screw it into the hole. Remove the plug and insert the expanding toll into
the insert. Tap with a hammer a few times and you are done. The top three
rows of threads are serrated and grip the aluminum when you expand them with
the expansion tool.

Good luck,

David V Clamp
Member: Corsa
              Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Newsletter Editor, VP
              Nader's Raiders
1966 Corsa convertible 140/4spd w/ AC
mailto:66corsa@cox.net