<VV> Plug Boots - Free Gel

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 16 May 2004 23:12:41 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2004 4:32:58 PM Pacific Standard Time,
emills5@cfl.rr.com writes:
As many of you out there are aware, Clark's sold about 2000 sets of defective
wires.  In talking with Cal in Helen, Ga. a couple of weeks ago, he said they
had traced it down to defective boots, not the wires.  They were to ship out
new boots to everyone that had bought the defective wires, myself being one of
them..  I have received mine and probably many of you have also.  In talking
with Michael Cassera (via E-Mail) he had trouble removing the boots and
installing the new ones.  The wires came apart at the crimp. Since I haven't
tackled redoing mine yet, would I be better off using side cutters to cut off
the old boot and then use some type of Silicon to help get the new ones on?  I
have never tried this before.  To bad Clark's didn't just replace the wires
instead of just the boots.  Would seem to me to have been the right thing to
do.
Folks -
I am not the supplier of the wires referred to in the note above, but I would
like to help anyone in a similar situation with those wires. I have removed
both the boots and the seals on many different sets over the years. It is,
indeed tough to do it right without damaging the crimped connector. Here is my
take on the best way to remove a long-installed boot. (PS -Since Silicone Wire
Systems sets use a two-piece construction down at the plug, I refer to the part
that slides over the spark plug and connector as the "boot" and the parts that
snaps into the sheet metal top cover as the "seal") If it is a two piece
seal/boot, remove the seal (Cut or shatter, whatever removes it.) Now lay the boot
on a hard surface, on its side. With an industrial single edged razor,
carefully slice down the side of the boot, almost but not quite cutting to the wire,
all the way to the end. An Exacto knife works fine for this, as well. DON"T
CUT YOURSELF!  After you are finished slicing the boot, it should split open
now, easily, by hand, and be removed. When assembling, slide the new seal back
over the wire first. Then put some Silicone lube/gel onto the crimped-on
connector. A little is best! Then the hard part. You might try stretching the boot
before installation by sliding it up one of the handles on a pair of pliers
-(That is what I use) Then remove it from the pliers and quickly slide it up onto
the wire over the connector. I use a spray silicon lubricant from CRC
Chemical Co. If the boot slides on easily, congratulations are in order, if not, you
may have to remove it and start again. I would pre-lubricate the plug terminal
with the same silicone gel that I include with my wires. If you need a packet
of this Silicone Gel, send me a stamped, self-addressed envelope, and I will
mail you one or two back. (for free) There isn't much in one of the packets,
because they are designed to accompany my sets, which, of course, are already
assembled and all you need is a little bit to put in the boot before you slide
it onto the spark plug. This makes it possible for the plug wire boot to be
easily removed next time you want to look at the plugs. Send me the
self-addressed letter if you want me to send you back some Gel. - Seth Emerson

Silicone Wire Systems
3462 Kirkwood Dr.
San Jose,  CA  95117-1549