<VV> Re: Damper/Pulley Puller

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 00:14:38 -0400

> From: Shaun <shaun_mcgarvey@shaw.ca>
> Subject: Re: Re:<VV> Re: Solid Pulley-140
> Cc: virtualvairs@corvair.org
>
> Why build a puller, drop the engine etc.. ?
> All you need are two long threaded bolts to fit the two small holes
> in the balancer. Tighten them gently and evenly and the balancer will
come
> right off.
Smitty says:  Shaun with all due respect to you I have to disagree with
that method.  I have pulled enough dampers that were tight enough that
you would have screwed the bolts right through the flange and the casting
before the pulley would move.  Fine for a knowledgible mechanic but there
are a wealth of newbies around that would make a mess of things.
        I used a little piece of flat bar stock with a couple of holes
drilled in it for years before I got my Russ Davis puller.  Neither of
them require the engine to be dropped