<VV> Engine falling out

slmizel@juno.com slmizel@juno.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 13:58:51 GMT

I went out paintballing this weekend and mentioned to the group my recent purchase of my Corsa (I was explaining why I couldn't spend more money on paintball supplies...I can only afford so many hobbies!).  One of the guys chirped up and said "That's the car that the engine falls out the back!"  I politely let him know that he really had no idea what he was talking about, but he insisted that his father had one and the engine fell out...I then politely implied that his father must not have been a very good mechanic and had probably forgetten to reinstall a few important bolts after removing the engine to replace the muffler bearings and to change the upper radiator hose.

I have owned my second Corvair (and only drivable Corvair) for only a few months...and have to agree with much of what I pick up from your posts and many of your websites...people are dumb.  It is amazing how someone can become a sudden authority with misinformation...I have also been told that Corvairs lose control easily because the weight distribution is all wrong with the engine sticking out beyond the rear wheels (he had a friend, of course, who had died after losing control and getting wrapped around a tree)...and of course the "that's the car that catches on fire" and "doesn't that car flip over?"

Well, I am counting myself lucky...I have been driving this death trap for a couple months and am still alive!  Good thing I am a risk taker!

Steve Mizel, St. Louis
CORSA
65 Corsa Vert 140 4 sp. (patiently waiting in my garage for a clutch cable, harmonic balancer, and new clutch kit as I gather necessary funds)

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!