<VV> Anyone use a tow bar? Advice needed

EUGENE1938@aol.com EUGENE1938@aol.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 21:30:00 EDT

Tom,

I've towed Corvairs around with a tow bar for many years now.  I started with
a tow bar I purchased in 71.  It attaches to the bumper of any model (early,
late, & FC).  I towed a 61 four speed from northern Calif. to Shreveport, LA
than two years later back to northern Calif. then three years after that to
southern Calif.  Since then I've towed any number of Corvairs, that I bought,
home.  It's been used by my sons and several friends without any problems.  I
made up a portable light set with tail/brake lights on an aluminum bar and wired
it with an 18' cable to a universal connector so it could be plugged into a
standard boat trailer lights lead.  It makes hook up and disconnect easy and
fast.  I towed the 61 behind a 72 Chrysler wagon at speeds up to 70 MPH.  Up
hill, down hill, and flat ground, you never knew it was there it towed so easy.
And with a tow car that big, braking was never a problem.

Ed Corson (CORSA member)
IECC - Riverside, CA

 bakwudz@rcn.com writes:
I'm tossing around the idea of using a tow bar to haul my 65 Corsa to track
events (since the trailer I borrow is "spoken for" the weekend of the NECC
BeaveRun event!), but I need to know what to look for since I never used one.
Any advice out there?  Brands, how to mount, etc.

Thanks!

Tom Willcox
Allentown, PA