<VV> engine shroud paint--how glossy was original?

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed, 19 May 2004 15:15:07 -0400

All of the paints are different in terms of gloss or sheen when you see them
side by side.  Matter of opinion on which one has the correct flatness, if
you will.  There is a specified amount of flattener in interior paint.
Perhaps someone can tell us what that % is for the chassis paint.  Long time
ago there was pretty good thread on this.

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: John McMahon [mailto:jmac2112@adelphia.net]
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 8:13 AM
To: Virtual Vairs
Subject: <VV> engine shroud paint--how glossy was original?

Just wondering--several people have suggested semi-gloss or low-gloss black
paint for the engine sheetmetal and engine compartment.  It has been my
experience that when it comes to spray paint, low gloss, semi gloss, semi
flat, and satin are all EXACTLY the same texture, i.e. "satin".  The
existing paint in my engine compartment, on the other hand, seems to be much
glossier than that, without being "glossy black."   I see that Clarks sells
some paint that's supposed to closely match the original, and I was
wondering if anyone has tried it, and what your impressions were.

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe