<VV> push rod tube seals

Barneck Doug C TIGTA Doug.Barneck@tigta.treas.gov
Thu, 20 May 2004 10:02:03 -0400

I am cleaning and sealing an engine for a 64 Monza coupe for my daughter who
turns 16 in 8 days ( as she keeps reminding me).  I pulled two pushrods and
the seals are a black material.  I pulled them off the tubes and they are
still stretchy and didn't break.  It doesn't really look like they have
leaked on one side and the other side is hard to tell as there is oil
residue but unable to tell where it came from.  Any idea if the seals are
viton or is there a way to tell?  I am inclined not to replace them because
they are still stretchy like a rubber band and don't crack or break.  What
do the vair-ites think?

Brief history on the car is it was last driven in 1972.  The owner's wife
was taking the kids to school and the engine died.  They got it running
again but couldn't keep it running.  Parked the car.  I bought it last year
from owner who had purchased it when it was 6 months old.  Original engine
is stuck and all of my efforts to unstick it for the last year have been in
vane.  The car is red with a white interior and red carpet.  Front seat have
some tears.  The back seat still has the plastic cover over the upholstery
that was so common back then.  One door has lots of paint chips.  Only rust
in the whole car is at the end of the trunk lid by the letters.  That will
get replaced easily.

PS.  I don't know much about the prior history of the engine.  The clutch
was new and it was a 64 engine in a 62 wagon so it could have had the seals
replaced...but they are black.  And the engine does run.

And just in case anyone is wondering...  It is red and has been in Group Red
for a year but I wasn't willing to bring it out of the closet and admit it.
Does that make me the Western Desert group member?

Doug Barneck
Your Tax Dollars at Work