<VV> Sluggish Convertible Top

Steven J. Serenska corvair@serenska.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:01:57 -0400

Group:

The power top on my '65 convertible has gotten quite sluggish of late.
It's gotten to the point where I have to reach back and push up on it
with my hand to get through the initial stages of the "up" cycle.

My question is, is there such a thing as "progressive weakness" syndrome
for power convertible tops?  Can I expect this problem to continue to
get gradually worse?  Or should I be concerned about a sudden stoppage
of the top in the near future?

My dilemma is whether I should fix it now and not risk it getting stuck
in the open position during a rainstorm, or whether I can wait a little
while until the offseason when I'll have more time/money to do the work.

Finally, are there specific parts I should be thinking about replacing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.

Steven J. Serenska
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4, sluggish top
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, hard top