<VV> Sluggish Convertible Top

Dave Keillor dkeillor@ultrex.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 15:07:25 -0500

Steve,

There are a couple of things that might cause sluggish operation.  The motor
could be weak -- brushes or commutator maybe.  More likely would be the flex
cables that the motor drives thru.  They may be in need of cleaning and
lubing.  Other possiblities include a poor connection in a connector or the
switch.  You'll probably be able to get away with some manual assist for
awhile, but if the problem is binding cables you may be at risk of
overloading the motor.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven J. Serenska [mailto:corvair@serenska.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 2:02 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Sluggish Convertible Top

Group:

The power top on my '65 convertible has gotten quite sluggish of late.
It's gotten to the point where I have to reach back and push up on it
with my hand to get through the initial stages of the "up" cycle.

My question is, is there such a thing as "progressive weakness" syndrome
for power convertible tops?  Can I expect this problem to continue to
get gradually worse?  Or should I be concerned about a sudden stoppage
of the top in the near future?

My dilemma is whether I should fix it now and not risk it getting stuck
in the open position during a rainstorm, or whether I can wait a little
while until the offseason when I'll have more time/money to do the work.

Finally, are there specific parts I should be thinking about replacing?

Thanks in advance for everyone's comments.

Steven J. Serenska
'65 Monza Convertible, 110/4, sluggish top
'66 Corsa Coupe, 140/4, hard top