<VV> distributorless ignition

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 22 May 2004 11:02:22 EDT

Tim, there is a section in Helt's book on the topic, you might want to take a
look at that.  I have a "small cap" HEI in my '66, but they have to be
controlled by a computer.  "Large cap" HEIs come in both standard and computer
controlled versions.  (The difference is that the coil is in the cap in the
large-cap HEI.)  I have heard that some have installed chrysler parts successfully in
the corvair distributor.  One thing to consider:  Almost everything made
since the late eighties, and all "distributorless" ignitions are operated by a
computer (ECM).  I imagine that most people don't want to install an ECM.
Benefits of later distributors are: Higher energy spark, no points, ECM control, and
timing accuracy (crank sensor timing, no mechanicals).  The first two
benefits are available through modification of the Corvair distributor.  (Pertronix,
Pertronix coil, 8mm "Seth wires").  The latter two require some engineering.
Just my thoughts.
Craig Nicol

<snip>i would like to know more about corvair installations of modern
ignition
systems. any hints/pictures/diagrams etc would really be nice. not sure if im
up
to it but maybe..im just a corvair hobbyist not a serious show person or
racer. thanks, regards tim colson <unsnip>