<VV> RE: '61 brakes pulling

kovacsmj kovacsmj@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 22 May 2004 14:11:49 -0400

Bob.

 Two similar problems.

*	My 69 Fitch started doing that. I found the front tires were
toed OUT < not IN <. Depending on the crown of the road, it would pull
either right or left. A proper alignment fixed it.
*	My 87 Dodge Van (the one that went BANG!) a couple of years ago
at your place! The symptoms were a pull to the right upon brake
application and then a pull to the left upon brake release. The problem
was a pinched left brake hose, ( pinched due to rust build up in the
bracket just before the brake cylinder). This acted as a check valve
restricting pressure to the left first, then upon releasing the brake,
trapping the fluid in the left brake caliper for a moment. Pull right
then left. I found this when I tried to bleed the left brake caliper and
NO fluid would come out unless I stood on the pedal!  The fluid passage
in the left hose almost did not exist. Two new brake hoses fixed it.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS