<VV> Clutch Problems in my FC (part III)

* Greenbrier Goon * greenbriergoon@hotmail.com
Sun, 23 May 2004 03:38:21 +0000

Hey everybody:

As some of you know, I have converted my late 1963 Greenbrier from a
Powerglide to a 4 speed. It has a stock 1963 engine with the early-style
flywheel and clutch.

I am still having clutch problems.  It seems as though pushing down the
clutch pedal does not pull the cable far enough to fully disengage the
clutch.

Some people offered the suggestion of lengthening the pedal or converting to
hydraulic.

Today I designed and built a lever setup that pulled the rod that is
attached to the clutch fork futher than it would normally go.  It seemed to
solve the problem at first, but once the engine warmed up, shifting became
difficult again and I had to crunch it into reverse.

The only thing left is to pull out the whole drivetrain and see if something
is going wrong with the clutch.  When I installed the flywheel, I used a
steel disc under the bolts that Clarks sells.  I assumed it was supposed to
be there even though the parts-van I used for this conversion did not have
one.  Maybe the bolts are hitting the rivits on the clutch disc.

I also suspect a problem with the pilot bearing and input shaft.  I used an
NOS input shaft along with a new pilot bearing and it seemed like a very
snug fit between the two parts.

It also seems that the clutch fork may have a problem.  I am not sure if the
ball that it rides on is supposed to be adjusted to a certain height or not.
  It seems like it has to move a long way before the T/O bearing makes
contact with the pressure plate.

I am pretty sure the I have the correct pressure plate, disc and T/O
bearing.  When I bought them, I compared them to the parts I took out of the
donor vehicle.  They looked the same.

Charles

Greenbrier World:
http://www.c-zone.net/northgte/greenbrier.htm

1963 Greenbrier PG (soon to be 4 speed)

Don't let Ralph Nader ruin another Presidential election.
http://www.ralphdontrun.net