<VV> Clutch Problems in my FC (part III)

Harold Eigenman harold@kepnet.net
Sun, 23 May 2004 07:09:31 -0600

> >   It seems like it has to move a long way before the T/O bearing makes
> > contact with the pressure plate.

Charles,

I know that you have had many suggestions on what your trouble is with the
non-releasing clutch when hot but the above statement from your post of May
23, 2004 4:38 AM indicates that you have too much free play at the clutch
pedal. When it is adjusted correctly, the throwout bearing should contact the
pressure plate with only about 3/8" to 1/2" of downward movement of your
clutch pedal.

> > It also seems that the clutch fork may have a problem.  I am not sure if
> the
> > ball that it rides on is supposed to be adjusted to a certain height or
> not

There is no adjustment to this ball for the throwout bearing arm, the one you
should have installed is the long one specified for the early engine.  The
difference between the early and the late is the thickness of the "nut" part
where you tighten it to the Diff. hsg. and it will have a internal star washer
for a lock washer.

There may be oil on the clutch disc facing if it just gives trouble when
hot......................

I think if the pilot bushing was too tight or clutch disc rivets were striking
the flywheel bolts you would have problems whether it was hot or cold. I've
never ever seen a pilot bushing too tight. ?? Even with a new inputshaft.

> > Today I designed and built a lever setup that pulled the rod that is
> > attached to the clutch fork further than it would normally go.  It seemed
>> > solve the problem at first, but once the engine warmed up, shifting
became
> > difficult again and I had to crunch it into reverse.

 I know if all late components are used in an early passenger car, the linkage
is very marginal for full release of the clutch and sometimes the linkage has
to be modified as you have done above to get full release of the clutch. Your
problem is related to  engine heat and that indicates oil on the disc to me.
Don't give up like Alan, there is an answer, it sure didn't leave the factory
with this problem.

Best Regards,
Harold Eigenman