<VV> Removing lower Shrouds

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Sun, 23 May 2004 18:50:22 -0700

Hi Russ,
My thoughts are to do whatever you can to lower temps and still retain them
and THEN, after knowing your temps, do that as one of the the last
approaches to lower temps.

There are a LOT of things you can do to lower temps.  Some of them are:
1. Deflash your heads really well.  This is the first place to start
lowering temps.  Once you do a set of heads and compare the difference you
will be sold.
2. Run with synthetic oil and lower oil temps by about 20 degrees.
3. Run with a 12 plate oil cooler WITH side plates as used on A/C cars.
4. Run with the new style fan, even though there might be arguments for
another heavier style.
5. I like to paint the outer half of the pushrods with white VHT, even
though some people say it does nothing.
6. Braze a washer in the outer end of the exhaust pushrod tubes, making
very sure the inner hole in that washer does not contact the pushrod under
any cam position.
7. Make sure your thermostat doors are operating properly and adjusted right.
8. Run with a deep oil pan and lowered oil pickup.
9. Maybe have radiused and improved the oil cooling flow path when
rebuilding the engine and had the crank straightened during the rebuild to
reduce crank bearing friction.

I am sure there are more and some people might disagree with this list, but
it is a starting place.  Then start measuring your temps, either oil or
CHT, and opinions differ for that also.  But, KNOW where your temps are for
your typical driving style, weather, etc.  Then when you consider removing
the lower shrouds, you will have the knowledge that you did it for the
right reason and it really did something for your temps and you know how
much that was.

The downside of removing the lower shrouds is that the engine does not warm
up properly, as when the shrouds and damper doors are where they
belong.  GM did not add this expense and engineering process for no
reason.  This can create excessive engine wear during the startup
period.  I understand that running with these removed in the AZ area is
pretty common in summer.

HTH,

Larry Forman