<VV> Tired of tires?

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Mon, 24 May 2004 21:45:42 -0400

I think a 205/60 is a nice size for a street Corvair. It is, however,
smaller in diameter than a stock 7.00-13. The 205/60 is
(mathematically) 24.69" in diameter whereas the 7.00-13s were closer to
25.3 or so.

Your '66 speedometer should be calibrated for 825 rpm, although it
won't be accurate at that rpm because they weren't accurate as shipped
by GM. But, if you want a tire that is "matched" like a stock tire,
look for 825 rpm. You'll really have to look over some tire specs to
find what you're looking for. As you look over the tire manufacturer's
specs, pay attention to whether or not they measure the rpm's standing
still or moving. You'll be more accurate to find one that's measured
moving, typically at 50 mph.

An 825 rpm 15" tire might not be easy to come by. Look at 205/65's.
Some might be tall enough. You might end up with a 215/60 which just
looks too "big" for me ("big" being defined as a combination of width
and diameter). But depending on their construction, that's about where
you'll be.

Now if you really want the speedometer to be accurate you might want to
shoot for a rpm of closer to 840. This is easier to come by. Despite
its smaller-than-stock diameter you might find a 205/60 that is 840
rpm. You might have to go to a 195/65. It just depends on the
construction.

If it were me, I'd probably get a good set of 205/60's and then if the
speedometer wasn't close enough I'd get a converter for it.

Good luck. I'd be interested in knowing what you end up with and why.

Bruce

On May 24, 2004, at 5:02 PM, Robert Marlow wrote:

> One of the perennial threads on VV is, "what size tire fits my car?"
> Today, it's my turn.
>
> I already have the wheels and my own idea of what the ideal tire size
> is.
> But I am interested in the opinions and experiences of others.
>
> The wheels are 15x7.  The car is a '66 coupe.  The goal is a
> speedometer/odometer that is reasonably accurate.  For general highway
> use,
> so don't worry about specific tires that are suited for autocross or
> racing
> or the like.
>
> And, for those who may wish to point me toward Bryan Blackwell's site,
> it
> is one of the sites I have visited already and it has influenced my
> thinking thus far.
>
> --Bob
>
> Robert W. Marlow
> nortechcorp@optonline.net