<VV> Clutch Problems in my FC (Part 4) Engine out

Dan & Synde dsjkling@sbcglobal.net
Tue, 25 May 2004 22:42:26 -0700

You mentioned you tried the ole' "increase the lever action at the clutch
trick"  and it worked for a while and then it was back to not disengaging
again.  I too did this and I had the same experience.  The clutch cable goes
through several bends on it's way toward the rear of the FC.  The increased
lever action puts a higher load on the cable.  The cable, when tight,  tends
to try to straighten out the cable housing but ultimately what happens it
that it wears the internal plastic liner at all the curves which gobbles up
all the additional movement of the cable.  What will happen is that it will
wear through until there is metal to metal contact and then the cable will
fail. What you need is something that will increase the travel of the cable
but that will not put additional loading on the cable which increases wear.
Now you could pitch the cable altogether and go hydraulic which I also tried
but eventually went back to the cable.  The FC is a rather compactly
designed vehicle so finding a place to mount the master cylinder was fun.
It lasted for about a month and left me stranded.  I found out that the rod
pushing the master cylinder was pushing slightly off center and prematurely
wore the aluminum master cylinder out.  What I did in the end took less than
an hour to do and has been working great for 70,000 miles plus.  Like I said
before, I just cut off the pedal, welded in an approximate 1" extention,
welded the pedal back on and painted.  Now I have plenty of adjustment with
no additional loading of the cable.  Pedal is only 1" higher.  Like I said
before, I should have done this in the first place and saved myself alot of
grief.  I'm a stickler for stock myself but I find sometimes a modification
is necessary to increase driveability and longevity.  If I ever sold the van
and someone wanted the pedal the way the factory made it, one bolt and a
swap of the pedal would be all it would take.

Good luck

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89 stump puller :)
1963 Spyder, 4spd Saginaw, 3.55