<VV> RE: LM cross member bolts

kovacsmj kovacsmj@sbcglobal.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 12:51:03 -0400

Scott,

 I had similar problems. You are lucky the bolts broke. Usually they
rotate in the cage welded to the 'frame' and you are in trouble. My
suggestion would be, of course, to replace the nuts and the bolts. BUT
the nuts are not welded in. They are loose in the cage to help align the
bolts. I used a home made device to jamb the nuts in the cage while
installing or extracting them to prevent them from starting to turn in
the cage.

 The home made tool was just a long length of big wire about .100 in dia
that had the last inch or so bent at about 90 degrees to slip between
the side of the nut and the cage.

Getting all the information is most of the solution.

MIKE KOVACS