<VV> a "real" Spyder? ** 3C **

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:33:03 -0700

At 1844 05/25/2004 -0600, Geoffrey A Johnson wrote:
>Oh I know I know I know.... I cant believe my vast encyclpodia of useless
>corvair trivia failed me on that.  Maybe its because I have not ever
>driven a spyder, but I am always willing to drive others cars, that might
>jog my memory ;)
>-Geoff
>
>On Tue, 25 May 2004 VairMech@aol.com wrote:
>
>> In a message dated 5/25/2004 12:10:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>> geoffj@unm.edu writes:
>> The car was not a spyder to
>> begin with, that has been added.  The 967 means it is a monza convertible.
>> 667 Would mean Spyder convertible, Spyder being the term for a car that
>> came from the factory with the turbocharged engine.
>> >>>>>>>>>>
>>     If I recall correctly wasn't the 62-3 Spyder an option and not a body
>> style? Therefore the VIN could be for a Monza and still be a Spyder by
the option
>> code.
>>     Check the tail panel at the exhaust outlet, is there a half round
cutout
>> and is it flanged forward? If so then it probably is a spyder, if not then
>> probably just a Monza.

There's the simple way of looking at the Fisher Body tag in the engine bay
and checking the end of the bottom line of code text.   If a 3C is there,
it was built as a Spyder.    This identifies a '62-'63 Corvair as having
been fitted with the turbocharged engine and other associated "Spyder"
options.

tony..