<VV> Flywheel Rivet Replacement

Ken lcm8044@yahoo.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 17:02:47 -0700 (PDT)

I am ready to begin replacement of the rivets in the flywheel. The flywheel is on my bench, and I have 12 grade 8 5/16" X >" bolts, with all metal lock nuts, and a drill press up to the challenge. The only question I have is what the torque setting should be. My best guess is 25 foot pounds. Please let me know if Im too far off base. In the 8th addition of How to Keep Your Corvair Alive, page 43, Mr. Finch was clear on everything but the torque.

One semi-interesting side note:  I wanted to prove to myself that the rivets were loose, there is nothing that moves or that would visually note one or more being loose. While it was still bolted to the crank shaft I struck the flywheel with a small ball peen hammer. The result was a sound much like a tuning fork, that placing my hand on the flywheel did not stop. The sound was coming from the piece of metal sandwiched in the center. Then again, the sound may mean nothing, but the rivets are coming out, one broken snout is enough. The last step is trip to the local balance shop.

Ken Morgan

Olympia, Wa.

66 Corsa, 140 / 4

62 Impala SS 327 P/G