<VV> RE: Bad flywheels

srmarti srmarti@netzero.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 10:12:47 -0400

> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 17:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Ken <lcm8044@yahoo.com>
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Flywheel Rivet Replacement
>
> I am ready to begin replacement of the rivets in the flywheel.
> The flywheel is on my bench, and I have 12 grade 8 5/16" X >"
> bolts, with all metal lock nuts, and a drill press up to the
> challenge. The only question I have is what the torque setting
> should be. My best guess is 25 foot pounds. Please let me know if
> Im too far off base. In the 8th addition of How to Keep Your
> Corvair Alive, page 43, Mr. Finch was clear on everything but the torque.
>
> One semi-interesting side note:  I wanted to prove to myself that
> the rivets were loose, there is nothing that moves or that would
> visually note one or more being loose. While it was still bolted
> to the crank shaft I struck the flywheel with a small ball peen
> hammer. The result was a sound much like a tuning fork, that
> placing my hand on the flywheel did not stop. The sound was
> coming from the piece of metal sandwiched in the center. Then
> again, the sound may mean nothing, but the rivets are coming out,
> one broken snout is enough. The last step is trip to the local
> balance shop.
>
> Ken Morgan
>
> Olympia, Wa.
>
> 66 Corsa, 140 / 4
>
> 62 Impala SS 327 P/G

My experience with loose flywheel rivets is:

1. The flywheel doesn't ring when hit, it buzzes.

2. At higher rpm the engine vibrates badly.

Might be fixing the wrong part.  Bolted flywheels aren't a bad idea, but my
broken starter nose incidents where the result of an eccentric ring gear.
Broken ring gear to clutch cover welds.

Steve Marti