<VV> RE:brazing

srmarti srmarti@netzero.net
Thu, 27 May 2004 22:01:28 -0400

> From: "John McMahon" <jmac2112@adelphia.net>
> To: "Virtual Vairs" <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
> Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 20:21:49 -0400
> Subject: <VV> brazing help needed
>
> Anyone out there know how to braze?  I haven't actually needed to
> do any on
> my car, but it seemed like a neat trick to add to my small collection of
> skills.  I went out and bought a flux coated rod, and tried my hand at it
> with very little success.  I figured maybe the 1/8" rod was too thick for
> what I was trying to do, so I turned it down on the bench grinder and used
> flux from a can.  Still nada.  The ONLY way I can get it to flow is if I
> heat the steel until it is ALMOST MOLTEN, and then put the rod on it and
> direct the flame at the rod.  I have tried this with pieces of
> metal from 18
> gauge on up to 1/4", and can't get it to work like Finch and others say it
> should.  What am I doing wrong?   Maybe the hardware store
> variety of rod is
> not what I need.   I am using a regular oxy/acet welding outfit, BTW.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John McMahon
> 1965 Monza coupe

Not trying to be funny but, you're sure it's not flux coated arc welding
rod?

One thing that's important is clean surfaces. The rod won't wet the surface
and flow well if it's dirtier than the flux on the rod can deal with.  Might
be difficult to tell much else without actually seeing what's happening.
Could be tip size,  flame adjustment, or just a matter of practice to get a
feel for the process.  It's sort of in between soft soldering and regular
gas welding.

Steve Marti