<VV> New! Improved! Tire Question

Bruce Schug bwschug@charter.net
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:10:53 -0400

Bob,

I've never run 205/60-15's. I did run 225/50-15 autocross tires on
Corvette 15 x 8 rallye wheels. I don't know the backspace but they had
a deep dish (little backspace). At the same time I had HD front springs
and stock A/C springs on the rear. They were all cut one coil. Because
of the deep dish of the wheels and the width of the tires I had to trim
the top inner lip of the front wheel wells. With more normal backspace
they would have fit without trimming.

Years ago Steve Avery put a set of Z-28 Camaro 215/60-15 wheels and
tires on his Corvair. This was the first time I'd ever seen a tire this
big on a Corvair. (This was prior to 1986-1987 when I first took a used
IROC out for a test drive and headed home to try its 16" wheels on my
Corvair) I can't tell you what his springs were. They were probably
cut. I also don't know if he'd trimmed the fenders or not. But I do
remember those tires, boy were they big!

BTW, what's going on here, you said you'd decided what tires you were
going to buy, what did you decide?

Bruce

On May 28, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Robert Marlow wrote:

> Okay, a new wrinkle in the tire stuff.
>
> I have heard from this list and elsewhere that 205/60-15 is either
>
> (a) the largest 15-inch tire that you can fit on the front of a late
> model, or
>
> (b) the smallest 15-inch tire that does NOT fit on the front of a late
> model.
>
> The issue in either case being a fender rub.
>
> What are listmember experiences with this specific tire size on the
> front
> -- front only -- of a late model?  With what width wheels?
> Backspacing?
> Stock or cut springs?
>
> --Bob

Bruce W, Schug