<VV> Fw: Differential & Transmission oil levels

BobHelt@aol.com BobHelt@aol.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 15:33:32 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/04 10:06:56 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
dmonasterio@megared.net.mx writes:

> I thought for a while on the oil levels, which seem
> to be different, higher on transmission than on differential. The middle
> hole
> looks as the high point for transmission oil while the filler plug at left
> of
> differential sets diff. level. So, the transmission oil level is, say, one
> inch higher than diff. oil level.

Hi Daniel,
I have never really checked this out and I don't have any trannys or diffs
here to do so right now. But I do have a Service Bulletin that may shed some
light on the subject.

The Bulletin says (and I paraphrase) "to improve pinion bearing lubrication,
the oil level has been raised 5/8" on the rear axles during the 1962
production." (they give a serial number which means nothing to me). They then say that
"due to the common lubrication arrangement, the manual transmission level has
been raised too." So maybe you have one of the old and one of the new.

This may help you to determine that.

They now say, the size of the oil filler plugs were increased for the units
with the higher oil levels. The transmission plug went from 1/2" to 7/8" pipe
thread. The diff from 1/2" to 3.4" pipe thread.

I hope that this helps.
Regards,
Bob Helt