<VV> Aftermarket parts (little or no Corvair)

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 20:53:18 EDT

In a message dated 5/30/2004 8:17:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
NicolCS@aol.com writes:

One of  my clients (I do technical editing for auto companies) posed an
interesting question to me;  I'm sure there are some on the list that  have
the
answer and I think the topic will be an interesting thread.   Here's the
question:
Where to makers of aftermarket parts (for example;  fuel pumps, sensors,
wheel
cylinders) get their specifications?  Do  they reverse engineer OE parts? Do
they obtain specifications from the  OEM?  Do they merely re-label parts from
other makers?  Also, I  kinda remember something about the OEMs being legally
required to provide  specifications to aftermarket makers?  Anyone know about
how
this  works?
TIA
Craig Nicol

It is an interesting question, Craig. first it is worth noting that most  OEM
stuff comes from so-called "tier one" and "tier two" vendors. The big  OEMs
(Ford GM and DC, as well as Honda and Toyota) only make a small  portion of
their parts. Often these vendors are supplying off-the-shelf parts to  the OEMs.
That makes it cheaper for the OEMs as well. These vendors can and do  sell to
the aftermarket. Certain items are, of course protected from other  channel
activity. The best place to look for the info about that facet of the  industry
is SEMA. They have facilitated the "data exchanges" that you mentioned  in
your note. Many of the aftermarket Machinery and testing tool makers,  like
Snap-on and Allen Scopes and many others need the factory spec info to be  able to
test the systems on the car. They have sued the OEMs in the past to get  the
information released, saying that keeping that info to themselves is  collusion
with their dealers to shut out the aftermarket. Of course, the dealers  want
that dianotic business to themselves. There are industry  publications,
several of which I read, that cover these issues. - Seth  Emerson