<VV> (no subject)

NOSVAIR@aol.com NOSVAIR@aol.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 22:45:18 EDT

   It's nothing new in Corvairdom but I finally got around to installing a
set of comfy bum rests.  I scammed a decent set of BMW 3 series leather seats to
replace the rather mushy stock ones in my '64 Monza.  While fitting the
drivers seat I found that the rear seat mounts fit perfectly onto the inboard stud
and the outboard bolt hole.  I drilled new mounting holes ( futher rearward )
in the front seat cross member to fit the existing holes up front.  The entire
operation was so simple it astounded me, never having done this type of
retrofitting.  Reconnecting all the wires for the power 8 way seats took the most
time since they got cut when being removed from the donor car.  I didn't get
around to tying the seats into the cars electrical circuit but instead attached
the power leads to a 12V lawn tractor battery ( which, while temporary, sits
nicely into the new found space between the seats).  Everything works but the
power head rest and I have yet to enable the heated seat option.  Benefits far
outweigh any excuses I might have had for keeping the originals but then I'm
not telling you racer guys anything you didn't already know.  I sit lower with
the advantage of better vision...I have room to fumble for that outboard
retracted seat belt...I can now install a centre consol...I can feel the cars every
movement...and best of all I can actually move the seat far enough back for
my comfort.  One drawback is that the seats were out of a sedan so the seat
backs don't flip forward.  On the plus side you can power them far enough forward
to allow rear entry for anyone tiny enough to fit in the back anyway.  I
think it added another 50lbs. to the car...I can live with that.

Bruce Webster
'60 500 Sedan
'61 700 Coupe
'64 900 Coupe