<VV> Re Matching Numbers

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:18:13 -0400

> From: NOSVAIR@aol.com
> Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:42:14 EDT
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
> Subject: <VV> Re: Matching Engine Numbers
>
> Judging from the number of questions asked weekly on this list I'd
> say you were deluding yourself if you thought people in the Corvair
realm
> didn't care if numbers matched.
-------------big smit--------------
Smitty says: Bruce you are talking about numbers in a different context
than the other people.  You are right that no one wants to inadvertently
buy a turbo on an 80 horse and those numbers have great value.  Even then
you are not sure someone didn't build a 200 HP precision engineered short
stroke screamer on an 80 horse block. (smile)  But that's beside the
point.  The numbers the obsessive are talking about are the production
date numbers that show for instance that the four speed transmission in
the car was built maybe a month before the car, rather than a month
after.  The same for the differential, window glass and all other things
that are date coded.  It is pretty well established how long the a fore
mentioned transmission would have taken to move from its assembly line at
Saganaw to the assembly line at GM.  One built two months before would be
just as questionable as one built after the car.
        The whole deal has to do with absolutely, unquestionably, "as
built at the factory".      Smitty