<VV> Corvair half shafts...

YENBAT@aol.com YENBAT@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 21:27:15 EST

In a message dated 10/31/04 6:08:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,  geoffj@unm.edu
writes:

As long  as we are not totally on topic, could someone give me an
explanation of  what  Torque Tube systems are?  Have heard the term numerous
times but have never understood what or how they  worked.

Thanks
Geoff Johnson

Basically they were solid shaft (in the case of The General) inside a  hollow
shaft. the hollow shaft was rigidly connected to the differential (no U
joint) and there was an enclosed u joint at the front end of the hollow shaft
with the joint enclosed in what they used to call a torque ball
which allowed the up and down pivoting to provide for the movement of the
suspension and lubricated by a slow infusion of oil from the tranny. I believe
this may have caused transmission failures in vehicles not regularly
maintained.  although the torque ball would not
receive oil if the level were below the output shaft. So there would still
remain "some" oil in
the tranny.

At least that was how my '54 Chevy was built. Buick, perhaps  others, used
them until 1960 or 61 or thereabouts.

They were used by most, large production, auto makers through the 40s  and by
GM longer
than, probably, all the rest.

Corvair NEVER used them - Thus satisfying the need for the mandatory  Corvair
content in
EVERY post.

Tim  Abney

Proud Member of
United  Steelworkers of America, Local 7600
Life Member McHenry County Illinois VietNow

Member American Legion Post #777 - San Bernardino, CA
Member  Society of the First Infantry Division (Big Red One)
KLIK - Lai Khe, RVN -  1967-68
Corsa Member
I.E.C.C.  President
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe - Valley Vairs Cover Car January 2003 - 2nd Edition
1964 Corvair Monza 4 Door - Back burner project
1961 Corvair Lakewood Wagon - Starting  restoration

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of steelworkers%20logo.jpg]