<VV> Spare fan belt for an A/C car

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 21:25:30 -0500

Well, you DO have to remove the A/C belt to install the spare belt.  The
whole point of this procedure is to get that extra work out of the way at a
convenient time  - in the comfort of your driveway, as opposed to alongside
a busy highway.

Here is how to do it:

1) Remove the Compressor belt.
2) Put the spare belt on as if you were going to install it on the crank
pulley, except, since there is already a fan belt on the pulley, just let it
sit there in the space between the crank and A/C pulleys.
3) Re-install the Compressor belt.
4) Now work the spare belt off of the crank pulleys and around to the stored
position.   The left side of the belt will come out around the oil filter
and end up on the outside (right side) of the compressor, while the right
side of the belt will end up on the inside (left side) of the compressor.  I
also had to unplug the High voltage lead between the coil and distributor
and feed the belt under the points lead -- your experience may be different,
depending on how you have mounted your coil and wires.  Once the belt is
looped around the compressor, find a way to secure it and keep it out of the
way of the belt and pulley.  I managed to loop mine around and under and
then around the charge ports.  I added some split garden hoses to protect
the belt from the heat of the compressor.

Now, in the event of a broken fan belt on the road, the spare belt can be
installed without removing the A/C belt by reversing the movement above.
The only extra step is unplugging and then plugging back in the high tension
coil wire (easy).

This was just installed, so I have no real world experience with the
results.

Bill Hubbell