<VV> Election Day Surprise

Hank Kaczmarek kaczmarek@charter.net
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 12:10:38 -0500

Good Afternoon everyone

Some might think I am posting to the wrong list.  Nope. Not about politics.

After arriving at work this AM, the vice president of the company walked up to
me, handed me a check for 3 weeks pay, and told me I was being laid off.  I
was told it was a cost cutting measure.

Earlier this year, our service writer/manager's health began to fail, and was
working 15 hours a week. They hired another guy (the guy whose place I took at
the dealership) to come back and write service. He had worked there for 7
years previously, and could work both service and parts.  Now that the Service
Manager is back to work full time.......

Talking to other dealers, my dealer found out that many Parts managers now
work alone, and have someone else on the staff trained to take over if they
are out sick or on vacation.  I applied last week at a dealer that has just
such a set up, and know of several others that I have dealt with that do
similarly.

Service revenue and Parts profit have been depressed all summer and fall.  I
guess they figured if they knocked me out, here's 35K we can save, let's get
rid of an employee!!!  So I'm at home, not too terribly upset to be out of a
job.  Hell of a surprise.

I thought I was being fired,  However I have been fired before, and never got
3 weeks pay while being shown the door.

Haven't decided whether to go back to school, or just start looking for work
next month. Lots of projects here need doing.

CORVAIR CONTENT

Once again I have time, but not much money to work on corvairs....But I will
manage to continue to get things done.

I have beem around long enough to know that when one door closes, another
opens.

Hank