<VV> RE: [fastvair] V> Head musings

Adrian Capriotti adrian@capriotti.co.uk
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:18:33 -0000

Yeah - this subject has been a great one of contention in the past.
There are many options on what can be transplanted to and from different
engines but it gets to the point where you would be just as easy using
the entire engine from the source instead of modifying the corvair one
to take its innards.

All of these types of alteration, I have found come down to a tradeoff
between effort, reliability of altered parts, coolness of doing it in
the first place and the actual outcome. To go to all that effort you
would at the very least expect to achieve 4 valves per cylinder in my
opinion :)

In the case of the Porsche versus corvair engine, the cam(s) placement
is the single differentiating factor. Most of the other bits are the
same. Just to clarify the numbering thing all of the 9** incarnations
are considered to be 911's - amongst them, the more well known being
901/902/915/930/964/993/996, plus many more between. (the 930 you
mention was the 4-speed manual turbo version)

Adrian
-----Original Message-----
From: Sethracer@aol.com [mailto:Sethracer@aol.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 30, 2004 12:16 AM
To: cash.case@sbcglobal.net; virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Head musings

In a message dated 10/29/2004 2:32:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
cash.case@sbcglobal.net writes:

I was  introduced to a set of heads for a Porsche a few weeks ago. These

were  930's I believe 911's are similar.
I know I'll get flamed for this but  thats ok.
These were overhead cam engines weren't they?
Wouldn't be it  possible to  modify a block and move the head studs into

position to  bolt these up and then create/modify an existing crank cam
belt drive gear  from the Porsche to mount on the end of the crank
shaft.

Ignore the  cooling shroud questions for the moment-

This seem dangerously easy to  me. Has anyone tried this yet?

Say, there Cash - Why don't you try it and let us know? <grin>  Probably

easier and certainly cheaper to put in the Porsche motor complete. Now,
now, Vair
guys - before you call sacrilege, you will still have an air  cooled
rear
engined flat six. Closer to a Vair than a Crown mid-V8! Probably not  as
fast,
though - Unless you corralled the rest of that 930! -  Seth

or selling a car.  FREE Quotes, 3600 Tours, Research,
Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kEZsdA/bwnGAA/YiGOAA/EHYslB/TM