<VV> Corvair Handling

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:03:08 -0500

Things never got great for me until I switched to 14-inch wheels. At this
point, I might have gone to 15, since the impetus was to adopt a size that
was available in a full choice of widths/diameters.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of slmizel@juno.com
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 10:00 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Corvair Handling

I had a Corvair in the '80s and really don't remember the hendling being
squirrly.  I also don't remember doing any basic maintenance on it since I
fried its engine a week after I started driving it (broken belt -- WAY
overheated).  A friend and I tore it down and it never got back together.
When I bought my "new" vair last spring I almost killed myself the first
time I drove it on the highway.  The front end was drifting all over the
place -- so much so that I slowed down to 45 mph and even then was stressing
a bit (normally no big deal, but I just happened to be driving it home in
St. Louis 270 rush hour traffic).  I checked the tire pressure -- sure
enough, 32# all around.  I dropped the front to around 18# and the back to
around 28#...but I still find it a bit drifty, especially under hard
acceleration (well, it has been a few months since it has been accerated at
all, but I am hoping to have it back on the road this weekend with the
generous help of Bob Bauer)...so I a!
m anticipating making a few changes to tighten it up...my wife won't drive
it the way it is.  Do you guys have any suggestions?  The drift is much
better with proper tire pressure, but still present...BTW, all the bushings
look sound from an visual inspection.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Steve Mizel
CORSA/Show Me CC
65 Corsa Vert 140/4 (still in group red...)