<VV> Corvair handling

Sadek Charles H DLVA SadekCH@NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:15:23 -0500

Excellent advice!  Another thing that really gets worn and is noted on accel
and handling are the trailing arm bushings on lates.  Usually these are shot
after all of these years.  And a bear to change out.

Chuck S

-----Original Message-----
From: NicolCS@aol.com [mailto:NicolCS@aol.com]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 12:10 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Corvair handling

One addition to the already excellent posts: I've had three customers now
with "squirrly" EM cars where the problem was traced to rear toe-out.  In
all
three cases, there were no alignment shims between the transmission and the
transmisison support.  Without shims, the rear suspension will have toe-out
and the
car will be really squirrly, especially under acceleration. (as the original

poster noted).  The first time I sent a guy to the alignment shop with a
handful of shims, the package came back with all the shims; the guy hadn't
used any
and told the owner to look for shims for the control arm bolts!  I the
customer back a second time with photocopies of the service manual and some
additional note like: "INSERT SHIMS HERE".  Proper rear alignment plus a
pittman arm
bushing fixed everything on all three cars.