<VV> Corvair handling

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 12:43:31 -0500

When I had a 1961 decades ago, I attained perfect handling only after I
finally went and got the rear toe set (I had upset it with a number of
power-train removals). I had to show the alignment guy how to do it
(four-wheel alignments were almost unknown then; are well-known now).
    For those new to Corvairs, 1960~64 rear wheels are adjustable for toe
and camber, but the method of adjustment is COMPLETELY different from the
method for 1965~69 (late models).

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of NicolCS@aol.com
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2004 12:10 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> Corvair handling

One addition to the already excellent posts: I've had three customers now
with "squirrly" EM cars where the problem was traced to rear toe-out.  In
all
three cases, there were no alignment shims between the transmission and the
transmisison support.  Without shims, the rear suspension will have toe-out
and the
car will be really squirrly, especially under acceleration. (as the original
poster noted).  The first time I sent a guy to the alignment shop with a
handful of shims, the package came back with all the shims; the guy hadn't
used any
and told the owner to look for shims for the control arm bolts!  I the
customer back a second time with photocopies of the service manual and some
additional note like: "INSERT SHIMS HERE".  Proper rear alignment plus a
pittman arm
bushing fixed everything on all three cars.