<VV> convert. windshield

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:39:53 -0800

At 07:52 hours 11/04/2004 -0800, Arjay Morgan wrote:
>Hi All:
>Two queries tonight:
>
>1) are early model convertable tinted windshields hard
>to come by?

For what it's worth, ALL early model windshields interchange *except*
station wagons.     Convertibles use the same windshield as sedans and
coupes.   And yes, early windshields are available from at least one
vendor, tint/shade...  two local  chapter members have recently just bought
early windshields.   The tint looks as original but the shade isn't quite
"stock" in appearance...  but it's still very good.   They are not cheap...
  but they're available and they're nice.

>2) How would one package/ship such a thing?

The vendors take care of that...  unless you intend to ship one somewhere
yourself.   It shows up truck collect, crated and packed in foam, serious
protection, no worries about breakage.    You may need to borrow a pickup
or a station wagon etc to pick up the windshield in-crate when it shows up
at your local trucking company docks.   Both guys here who bought early
windshields had no problems with any of the transactions.

...and one of them is selling me his not quite perfect but still *very*
nice original shadetint windshield from his show car for a very good
(cheap) price, good gasket and all, when he installs the new one (with new
gasket), to happen when he "decommissions" his Spyder for the winter.

I'll be happy to stash a nearly perfect early windshield away until I need
it...    and the one in the '60 4-door is cloudy on the edges.

tony..