<VV> Balancing

JVHRoberts@aol.com JVHRoberts@aol.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:53:25 EST

Don't weld. The risk of distortion is huge here.
The rod caps and the small end have excess material that can be removed, and
it's there specifically for balancing purposes. you should easily be able to
take off 6 grams, no sweat.
Not sure how GM did it, the right way is to get all the pistons to be the
same weight, get the pins to be all the same weight(these should be close
anyway), and get the rods all the same weight, with the same end to end balance. Then
balance the crank and flywheel separately.
Anything else will not give as good a result.

In a message dated 11/5/2004 8:38:13 PM Eastern Standard Time, geoffj@unm.edu