<VV> Re: Corvair Handling

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 19:27:55 -0500

----------------------snip----------------
 it still doesn't hold a straight line down the road. What could
 ----------------------snip--------------

----------------------snip---------------
> Any Questions or comments on this topic.email or call me.
Smitty Says;  My book says 1960-61= 5/16, 63-64= 1/4, 64-65=5/16, 66 and
up =1/4.  Roy I won't question your results either in handling or tire
wear.  I will say this though.  When Corvairs were built they were
designed to use bias ply tires.  I doubt that they would have specified
more than 1/16 toe in if the specs had been for radials.  I run 1/16 or
less on all my cars and they are not unstable, nor do they wear the
insides of the treads.  I believe more stability comes from good caster
than toe in.  Of course you have to have a good tight front end or it's
all out the window.