<VV> Corvair Handling

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 07:43:37 -0500

Harbor Freight sells a gauge with which to measure toe-in and another with
which to measure camber SO cheaply that I have bought both. I have used
them. Both show values that accord perfectly with what I was expecting.
     As you might expect, they have certain limitations. Regarding the
camber gauge, you MUST have your vehicle parked on a level surface (I have
one of these). As for the toe gauge, it will only give you TOTAL toe, not
individual toe by wheel.
     Harbor Freight also sells turntables on which you can park the wheels
that steer the vehicle, to aid in setting caster. These are NOT quite so
cheap, and I haven't bought them.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Marc Sheridan
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 2004 7:11 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Corvair Handling

For those of you that like to do your own work, there is a book called
"Corvair Wheel Alignment" by Frederick Johnson. I got mine from the
Corvair Underground, but there may be other sources. Also, the November
issue of Hot Rod magazine has a nice article about DIY alignment.

I haven't tried to do my own alignment yet, but I think I will next time
my Corvair needs it. My experiences with the local alignment places and
my Corviar haven't been the best.

Marc Sheridan